Dentist in Plaistow, East London
Call us 0208 552 7552
General Dentistry » Amalgam Removals
Why choose us for your amalgam removals
We understand the link between heavy metal toxicity and your overall health. We have over a decade of of experience in the safe removal and replacement of amalgam fillings. We follow the removal techniques as recommended by the international academy of oral medicine and toxicology. We can advise our patients about nutritional supplementation to ensure that heavy metal detoxification takes place appropriately. We have close links with other health practitioners to ensure that any health issues are addressed.
For over 150 years standard fillings have been made out of a silvery grey material called amalgam. The set dental amalgam is a mixture of an alloy with mercury. The alloy is composed of silver, zinc and copper. The alloy is powdered and then made in the dental surgery with an equal amount (typically 50%) of mercury.
There is an ongoing debate as to whether or not the mercury makes the dental amalgam safe or not and World Health Organization stated in 1991 that for mercury vapour, there is no known "no-observable-effect level" however, all levels of mercury vapour are harmful, and in fact, Mercury is the third most toxic substance known to mankind after arsenic and lead!
Mercury escapes from amalgam in the forms of mercury vapour, elemental mercury and mercury ions. Mercury release is increased by increasing friction (e.g. chewing gum), temperature (e.g. hot food and drinks) and increased electrical currents (combining amalgam and other metals such as gold).
A normal balanced diet contains a small amount of mercury and we also come into contact with it in our environment and by being exposed to a number of other products. Sources of mercury in the environment include: industrial processes, batteries, deodorants, nasal sprays and vaccines, such as the flu vaccine.
Although Mercury is released in small amounts, it is stored in the tissues and is a cumulative neurotoxin. This type of poisoning is called micromercurialism. As mercury easily crosses the blood brain barrier, it can damage any part of the central nervous system. The earliest symptoms of toxicity are usually sub-clinical and neurological, and symptoms can include fatigue, headaches, forgetfulness, reduced short term memory, poor concentration, confusion, rapid mood swings and depression. Muscle twitches and body shakes are later symptoms and thus more severe.
The W.H.O. has demonstrated that dental amalgam is the single greatest source of mercury to the general population - up to 10 times more than from all other sources combined, and in May 1998 the British Government recommended that dentists do not place or remove amalgam in pregnant women.
At TLC Dental, we have found that a number of our patients have reported significant improvements in their overall health following the removal of their amalgam fillings.
- Back to General Dentistry